When I travel, I always bring my Apple TV box with me to watch TV shows in hotel rooms. When I was traveling recently, I realized that I had forgotten to bring the Remote after plugging in the Apple TV and considering connecting it to the Hotel WiFi.
Then I went online to look for tutorials on how to connect Apple TV to WiFi without a remote or an ethernet connection. And after reading numerous articles and forums, I’ve compiled a list of methods that I’m going to share with you, all of which you can try to connect your Apple TV to WiFi.
The Apple TV Remote can be found by swiping down from the top-right corner and tapping on the remote icon in the Control Center. Go to Settings > General > Network > Wi-Fi to connect to the Internet.
If you want to read a detailed guide on how to enable this feature and how you can connect an external keyboard or use a Macbook to connect to WiFi for typing in the password for the WiFi.
Share Your Password To Another iOS device
You can’t connect to the Apple TV if you don’t have the Apple TV Remote because you don’t have the remote to enter the Wi-Fi credentials. Wi-Fi network SSID and password, as well as Apple ID credentials, can be transferred to the Apple TV if you have iOS 9.0 or later.
The Bluetooth and Wi-Fi should be turned on on your iOS device in order to accomplish this task When the Apple TV’s Start-up Screen appears, touch your iOS device to the Apple TV box and follow the on-screen instructions on both devices to get started.
The new Wi-Fi network is now accessible to your Apple TV. You may need to check for service interruptions before updating and resetting your devices if your Apple TV is connected to Wi-Fi but does not work.
Use An Universal TV Remote To Control The Apple TV
If you have a universal TV remote, which is usually carried by travelers, or if you purchase one from Walmart for around $20, you can use that. Then you can connect the remote to your Apple TV and use it by following the steps outlined in this section.
- The best option is to use a universal TV remote control with arrow buttons.
- Connect your Apple TV to your network with an Ethernet cable.
- Navigate to Settings > General > Remotes on your iPhone using the Remote Feature in Control Center to access the Apple TV’s remote controls.
- To teach your standard TV remote to Apple TV, select Learn Remote and follow the on-screen instructions.
- As a final step, disconnect the ethernet cable from the back of your Apple TV and enable Wi-Fi by going to General -> Network -> Configure Wi-Fi.
Apple TV can be controlled and navigated using a universal TV remote once it is connected to a new Wi-Fi network.
Using iPhone as A Remote To Control Apple TV
When the iPhone is turned on, a feature in its control center allows it to function as a remote control for your Apple TV box.
- The Apple TV controls are automatically activated if it detects that the connections have been established for iOS 12 or later models and iPadOS 13 or later.
- If you don’t see the Remote icon in the Control Center of your iOS device, go to Settings > Control Center and manually add the Apple TV controls.
- To activate the Apple TV controls on the Control Center, click the + button next to the Apple TV in the Customize Control menu.
- Once added, you can open the Control Center by swiping up and clicking on the remote icon.
- Connect an Ethernet cable to the Apple TV and turn it on.
- Go to Settings > Network > Wi-Fi and select your Wi-Fi network to begin configuring your network.
- To complete the setup, follow the instructions and enter the four-digit PIN on your iPhone or iPad.
Using Apple TV Remote Interface (No Ethernet Required)
You can also use the remote interface provided on the Apple TV box. Follow the below steps to get access to it.
- In order to navigate and select among the apps, contents and lists on Apple TV, you can swipe left, right, up or down on the large Touch Area of the remote control.
- You can adjust the device’s volume by pressing the volume buttons.
- You could return to the home screen by pressing and holding the Menu button.
- Siri can be activated by pressing the microphone button.
- Apple TV has a dedicated search button.
You can use a Bluetooth keyboard or even a MacBook keyboard to enter a long or complicated Wi-Fi password.
You can connect the Bluetooth keyboard with the iPhone and then once you turn on your Apple TV you can see the keyboard there that can be associated with the TV as well and you can type the password. Otherwise, you can get a new Remote.
I was able to turn on my Apple TV without a remote and navigate the menus without any problems. The Apple TV Remote isn’t required to connect to the Wi-Fi network, but there are ways to connect Apple TV to Wi-Fi without it.
This was much easier than when my Apple TV refused to join the network. Now that your Apple TV is connected to Wi-Fi without a remote, you can watch shows on Prime Video, Netflix, or Disney+.
Apple TV+ also has Apple Original Series.
Most Smart TVs also allow you to browse the internet. You could also make your Apple TV a HomeKit hub, allowing you to control your entire Smart Home from the Apple TV.
- How To Reset Altice One Box And Troubleshoot
- REG 99 Unable To Connect On T-Mobile
- Vizio TV Keeps Turning Off After A Few Seconds
Frequently Asked Questions:
Where Do I Find Apple TV Settings?
Using the Siri Remote’s menu button, navigate to the home screen. You’ll see a gear-shaped icon in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
Can I use Apple TV on Any TV?
Yes, regardless of whether it is a Smart TV or not, an Apple TV will work with anything that has an HDMI input. Apple TV is not brand- or model-specific.
How To Connect Apple TV With Computer?
Connect the AppleTV to your Mac via an Ethernet cable and a USB-C dongle on the Mac. Connect one end of the HDMI cable to the Apple TV and the other end to the monitor on your computer. After you’ve connected, click the “Input” button on your screen.
I’ve lost my Apple TV remote and now have a new Wi-Fi connection. What do I do?
Using an Ethernet cable, connect your Apple TV to your router. Then, using your iPhone, control your Apple TV with any generic IR remote. As of right now, you can use this to operate your home theater remote.