Have you recently changed the battery for your Honeywell Thermostat but it stopped working after doing it? In this article, I will let you know how you can reset the thermostat after changing the battery and make it work.
When you’re at home, the Honeywell room thermostat is designed to help keep your house at a comfortable temperature and conserve energy when you’re away. For most thermostat models, the batteries need to be replaced every 1 to 2 years.
So, if you have reached that age when you need to change the battery in your Honeywell Thermostat, then you can follow the below methods to quickly fix the issue you are facing.
Most of the time, it is the way you have inserted your battery into the thermostat. So, before following any other method just make sure that you inserted the batteries correctly and also used the correct type of Battery.
How To Reset A Honeywell Thermostat After Battery Change
The first and foremost thing you can do is to reset the thermostat whose battery you have changed. Doing a factory reset is fairly easy on Honeywell Thermostats.
- Switch Off The Thermostat if Its not already Switched Off.
- Press down the Battery Door to open it or use you nails to pop it open whichever method suits you better.
- Batteries can now be removed, so proceed.
- This time, insert the batteries in the opposite direction. For clarity, the goal is for the – pole to be aligned with the + terminal, as seen here.
- Allow the batteries to remain in this reverse orientation for a few seconds before moving them.
- Once again, you remove the batteries.
- Batteries can now be re-installed following this procedure. After a short wait, your thermostat may display information (on the LED screen) indicating that it is now ready for usage..
- You may simply slip the battery compartment top back into place.
This will reset your Thermostat and you can now be able to use your Honeywell Thermostat instantly. If you are still facing the issue then follow the below methods.
Reset Honeywell T5 or T6 Thermostats
If you are having an older Honeywell Thermostat such as T5 or T6 or T5+ then you can follow the below steps to reset it.
- Make sure that your theromstat is powered on.
- For a while, hold down the Menu button.
- Go to the left and choose “Reset” from the drop-down menu.
- Click “Select” to select a manufacturing facility.
- To answer “Are you sure?”, simply press the “Yes” button.
- Your device has now been reset.
How To Fix Honeywell Thermostat Not Working After Battery Change
To fix the Honeywell thermostat that you are using after changing the batteries, you may follow the below methods and check after each method if your issues are fixed or not.
1. Make Sure that Batteries are Properly Installed
You may have placed the new batteries in incorrectly, even if it seems evident. You should thus double-check that your batteries are put correctly in the battery compartment.
If not, reposition the object to ensure proper alignment. Battery Orientation: Batteries in Honeywell programmable thermostats should usually face up (check the markings on your battery holder if in doubt).
Incorrectly fitted batteries can cause the thermostat to malfunction. Assemble the batteries in the correct order. If you made a mistake, reorient the batteries. The polarity of the batteries can be determined by the markings within the battery compartment.
2. Make Sure You Are Using the Proper Battery Type
If you are someone who is going to buy a third-class battery from a dollar tree store then you need to be in luck. As most of the time, you may bring the wrong Battery type that is supported by the Thermostat.
The thermostat may stop working if you don’t replace all the batteries at once. Try not to blend old and new. Replace your Honeywell thermostat’s batteries with brand new ones every time. Using the old and new battery combinations can cause trouble with your thermostat due to the different charge levels.
Your fresh new batteries may be too weak if the installation is correct. A better battery brand may be all you need. I know it seems simple. Honeywell Thermostats normally require alkaline AA/AAA batteries, which are available in a variety of sizes.
3. Replace the fuse or reset the circuit breaker.
It is common for a Honeywell thermostat that is powered by in-wall electricity to go off, then go entirely blank, when a fuse blows or a circuit breaker trips due to an electrical overload.
As a result, even after replacing the batteries, the device will not function until the blown fuse has been replaced or the circuit breaker (which supports the HVAC system) has been reset.
Open up the fuse box and replace the blown fuse with a new one, or turn the necessary circuit breaker switch back on to check if the thermostat will begin to work again after that.
4. Contact the Customer Service
If you were unable to fix your thermostat with the methods described above, then you need to get an expert opinion on it.
The last option you need to do is call the customer care or service of Honeywell and tell them your thermostat has stopped working and allow them to troubleshoot and check if it can be fixed or if it requires a replacement .
Depending on the nature of the problem, it may be too dangerous to diagnose without the proper equipment and knowledge, and the best course of action would be to call in the professionals to have a look.
If none of the above steps worked for you and you haven’t done the reset yet for your Thermostat then I would recommend doing the reset at this point and making sure everything is working.
I hope you were able to fix your Thermostat from Stopped Working to Working condition after changing the battery using the methods I have described above.
Since fixing the Honeywell thermostat is pretty easy and most of the work can be done by yourself, Hence, using any of the four methods certainly should fix the thermostat.
Also, just remember that after doing a factory reset, all your personal settings will be wiped off and you will only have the factory settings on the thermostat. And if you want to keep the personal settings, then you need to capture them somewhere to re-enter after a factory reset.
If you liked our content then please follow us on Facebook and Other social media platform. Also, check out our other posts.
- Quick Fix: Red Light Blinking on Spectrum Router
- Can Google Nest WiFi Handle Gigabit Speeds
- Does Google Nest WiFi Works With ATT Fiber and ATT Uverse
- How To Reset Philips Hue bulb with Alexa
- Quick Fix: Nest Thermostat Not Charging or Low Battery
- How To Use Google Nest WiFi With Xfinity
Frequently Asked Questions
Why My Honeywell Thermostat Stopped Working?
Have you changed your battery recently on your Honeywell Thermostat? Most of the time, changing the battery can cause the malfunction of the thermostat, and this can be because of the incorrect or low-quality battery being used.
Where is the Reset Button On the Thermostat?
There will be no specific reset button on the thermostat. You need to navigate thru the menu options and select the reset option or factory reset option from the settings menu options.
How To Change the Battery On Thermostat?
Changing the battery on the thermostat is easy. Just buy the branded compatible batteries and then pop open the battery container of your thermostat. Align the battery correctly based upon the positive and negative markings, close the lid, and restart the thermostat.